Maca (Lepidium meyenii) is a low-growing herbaceous plant native to the high plateaus of the Peruvian Andes. It is grown for its large fleshy tuberous radish shaped root, which is used as a vegetable and as a medicinal herb. Maca is a remarkable plant that has been used by native Peruvian communities since before the times of the Incas, and because of its numerous nutritional and natural health properties, has become known as the "Peruvian Ginseng".
Maca is a very resistant plant that thrives in hostile climatic conditions of intense sunlight, violent winds and below freezing temperatures, and in the poor rocky soils, at altitudes of between 3500 and 4500 meters above sea level. Seeds are planted at the beginning of the rainy season and the plant matures about 8 months after sowing.
Nutritional properties and health benefits
Its high nutrient content makes the maca root a natural energizer and revitalizing agent. It helps counteract physical and mental fatigue. It is thought to behave as a cerebral stimulant, helping to reduce stress and tension and improving the memory and learning abilities. Maca also helps to regulate hormonal activities and control normal body functions and is often recommended for the menopause and menstrual irregularities. It is believed to act as a sexual stimulant and fertility enhancer. Maca has also been found to have an antioxidant effect.
Our production process
After harvesting, the maca roots are allowed to dry under the intense Andean sun for at least three months. They are covered at night to avoid damage by frost or rain. The leaves are left on the plants during this drying period in order to increase the sweetness of the traditionally bitter tasting maca roots. The dried maca is then ready for processing.
On arrival at our processing plant the roots are cleaned and disinfected to reduce the microbiological contamination. They are then cut into small pieces, placed on trays and dehydrated at a carefully monitored heat until the required humidity is achieved. The dried roots are then ground until the established particle mesh size is achieved. Finally the maca powder is subjected to microbiological / biochemical evaluation before being weighed and packed. Strict quality control evaluations are carried out throughout the process.
Advantages of Villa Andina Organic Maca Powder
• Only maca grown in its original native habitat, on the high plateaus of the Peruvian Andes is able to provide the complete spectrum of benefits that this plant offers. Maca cultivated at lower altitudes or in different locations shows a marked loss in effectiveness. Villa Andina Maca is 100% harvested from the Peruvian Highlands and we are able to guarantee that our clients will obtain maximum benefit from it.
• Villa Andina Organic Maca is 100% natural, and is certified organic. This certification enables us to guarantee that no chemical fertilizers, herbicides or pesticides, preservatives or any other artificial additive of any kind, has been employed during the cultivation or processing stages.
• Our company has a very strict quality control policy. We work with premium, first class raw materials and our production processes are supported by the quality control certifications, HACCP and Good Manufacturing Practices. Villa Andina Maca, in both Organic and Non-Organic presentations are made from 100% pure maca root, and is not mixed with other ingredients. Our objective is to guarantee the quality of our products and achieve total customer satisfaction.
• Our products are dehydrated at a temperature below 45º Celcius (approximately 110º Fahrenheit), which allows us to maintain the natural color, flavor and -even more important- the nutritional properties of the fresh roots.
• The only ingredient present in our Maca Powder is in 100% Maca roots, and contains no other additives, ingredients, colorants, preservants or flavorings. The product is Gluten Free and a very good option for Vegans.
• Raw Organic Maca Powder
• Gelatinized Organic Maca Powder
• Raw Conventional Maca Powder
• Gelatinized Conventional Maca Powder
• Raw Organic Maca Capsules
• Gelatinized Organic Maca Capsules
• Raw Conventional Maca Capsules
• Gelatinized Conventional Maca Capsules